**This post may contain Affiliate links, please see my Disclosure for more information**
There are unique foods that seem almost mandatory to start including on your menu when the seasons change. Spring and Summer, in particular, bring the tantalizing tastes and aromas of freshly grilled foods, accented by tastefully created side dishes such as varying types of pasta salads, potato salads, fruit salads, and everything in-between! Every year, the very first time the grill gets fired and brought back to life after laying dormant for the winter I start getting special requests from my family for their favorite Summertime foods we've been missing all year. The very first, and by far the most popular request I get from my family and friends is my Easy Home Style Potato Salad! It's so simple that I often wonder why everyone who has ever tried this quite simple to prepare dish gushes over how amazing it is. I get request after request for the recipe. Only to get a silly look when I share, often times people will say “that's it? There's not a secret ingredient you left out?”. Nope. That's it, it's that simple, which is probably why it's so tasty and satisfying. The majority of my 4 children don't even like to eat potato types of dishes, yet even they will ask for seconds or sometimes even thirds of this Easy Home Style Potato Salad dish that I've made for years, and quite honestly never even followed a recipe. Until now…
In light of the July 4th holiday and all of the cookouts, gatherings, and celebrations that we are all tirelessly preparing for, I decided to share this recipe with all of you. This particular salad is always an option on the picnic table at any event that I plan, if I'm not planning it personally, I always get the request to “bring the Potato salad you make”. So, without further ado, here is the simplest, tastiest and most delicious recipe for my Easy Home Style Potato Salad:
You Will Need:
- One 4-pound bag of Potatoes (I use red or golden white, it depends on what is available. Either is fine)
- 6 to 8 hard-boiled eggs
- One 7-ounce jar of Green Olives (if you can find Salad Olives, they are already sliced. If not, you will need to slice the olives see this link for salad olives: http://amzn.to/2uYdX5h)
- 1 to 1 1/2 Cups of Mayonnaise (be sure to use real Mayonnaise and NOT Miracle Whip!! See this link http://amzn.to/2tWygDx)
- 1/4 to 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt (see this link http://amzn.to/2t1oV8V)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (see this link http://amzn.to/2tWl3ug)
- Dice your washed, unpeeled potatoes into 1″ thick, uneven cubes and boil 10-15 mins, or until tender. They are done when easily pierced with a fork. Don't overcook them, although they should be cooked through you don't want them falling apart. Stir occasionally, check frequently. When done, drain in a colander, and rinse with cold water. Let cool to room temperature. Sometimes I even put them in the fridge to quicken the cooling time
- Hard boil your eggs; usually 6-10 minutes in fully boiling water. When done, drain, let them cool to room temperature and dice. Set aside.
- If you were able to find the “salad olives” great, simply drain and set aside. If you weren't able to find the salad olives (which are already sliced) then you need slice your olives too. I slice them into thin slices. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cooled potatoes, diced hard boiled eggs, sliced green olives, Mayonnaise, and garlic salt. Start with 1-cup of Mayonnaise and mix until well blended. If it's dry, add another 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup Mayonnaise, being careful to not add too much.
- Once well blended, add a dash of salt and pepper to taste, cover and refrigerate for at least 45-minutes before serving.
- Voila! Enjoy
If you don't like green olives, still give it a try. The olives add a bite to it that's essential to attain the perfect blend that keeps my family and friends coming for more! You can add alterations to include your favorite, summer salad must-have ingredients as well, I've provided links above for you to easily find most everything you will need. The directions and ingredients I've provided above are exactly how I make mine, and I continually get compliments and requests for more. The portion size I've given you above is a larger dish. It will easily feed 6-8 people, and quite possibly leave room for leftovers depending on how big a serving everyone will have. Be prepared for large servings, it's that good! My family enjoys the leftovers, so I always make the larger batch I've given you above to either be sure I have enough to send a dish home with someone who couldn't stop talking about how good it was or for the kids and my husband to eat the next day. This salad is one of those dishes that is even better on day two, so keeping leftovers for the next day wouldn't be a bad idea!
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let me know how your family and friends liked it! If your looking for some more easy recipes to add to your menu check out the other recipes suggestions I have posted on my website. I hope you enjoy this Easy Home Style Potato Salad that my family just can't get enough of all summer long!